We manage over 35,000 hectares of woodland throughout Great Britain. The properties managed are remarkably diverse, ranging from species rich ancient broadleaved woods to extensive conifer plantations, and from small farm woodlands to whole estates.
The successful candidate would be expected to take the lead on the management of a portfolio of existing client properties ranging from large woodland estates to lowland mixed woodland, often on designated woodland sites. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation of budgets, annual reports and financial forecasts
- Creation of UKWAS management plans and long-term production forecasts
- Programming thinning and felling and overseeing the delivery of these
- Timber assessment, marking and mensuration
- Coordinating any necessary restocking and maintenance of young conifer, mixed and broadleaved crops
- Tendering and oversight of some contract work
- Management of health and safety in relation to subcontractor-instructed work
- Development of opportunities for new business
Training and support will be provided to introduce the successful applicant to company systems and procedures.
The ideal candidate would be expected to have the following:
- A degree or diploma in Forestry, or a land-based degree
- Ideally 5 years plus experience as a forest manager, where directly involved in the day to day management of forest properties and in dealing directly with woodland owners
- Have attained or be working towards their professional ICF accreditation
Practical experience should include:
- Knowledge of the regulatory systems and grant opportunities in England
- A strong degree of commercial acumen, and sound understanding of estate silviculture, and the full range of operations from new planting and restocking through to clearfelling
- Thorough knowledge of the requirements of UKFS and UKWAS; the latter being especially relevant to the proposed portfolio
- Knowledge of lowland and mixed conifer / broadleaved silviculture and the management of PAWS woodlands would be desirable
Personal skills should include:
- High level of motivation and ambition, with ability to deliver a high-quality professional service to clients
- Ability to work on your own, or closely with other members within a small and dedicated team
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in written word
- Proven business acumen, and a desire to develop and grow the portfolio over time.
- Proficiency with IT systems, with experience of Office 365 suite and GIS.
Location & Geographic Area of Operation
The position of Forest Manager will be based in Hereford but will be serving our portfolio in the Welsh Marches.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary from £29,000 – £48,000 per annum, commensurate with experience
- A vehicle suited to the role is provided for business and personal use, if required. No costs to employee, other than income tax for the vehicle and paying for the fuel for private use of the vehicle
- The company operates a stakeholder pension scheme
- Annual leave of 20-25 days plus bank holidays will be paid, to be taken at times agreed with the Directors. Holiday entitlement rises with length of service
- Other benefits include mobile phone, laptop or desktop PC and other tools, equipment & PPE necessary to carry out the role
- The post is full time (i.e. minimum 40 hours per week, with some time additionally required to cover travelling to distant sites/ offices)
- Relocation expenses will be considered for the right candidate
Applications should be submitted in writing along with CV and directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 17th June 2022
Interviews commencing 22nd June 2022.
If you have specific questions about the role then please contact email@example.com